IMINTEG – in search for models of relations between immigration and integration policies
The main objective of the project is explanation of the links between immigration and integration policies and development of theoretical models of relations between those policies, with due account taken of Polish specifics. Another objective of the project is to supplement the migration theories, particulary in the context of immigration and integration policies. The approach dominant in the literature of the subject assumes separate analyses of immigration and integration policies. It is assumed that actions performed under integration policy and its effects have only limited impact on regulations related to inflow of foreigners into a given state. The main research hypothesis assumes that there are relevant interdependencies between immigration and integrations policies, and that the scope of connections between them largely determines the approach of a given state to the inflow of foreigners. This means that the degree of opening of a given state to immigrants depends on the level of integration of those foreigners who already reside in that state. At the same time it was assumed that immigration is a process which – apart from extreme situations – cannot be fully stopped, which means that each state should have both immigration and integration policies.
Objectives of the project:
1. Creation of the map of factors determining the position of a given state towards inflow of foreigners. This task aims to identify the factors that are taken into account when decisions are made on regulations in the area of immigration policy. The secondary analysis of various types of sources (including literature of the subject, public opinion polls, media discourse, comparative reports, programmes of political parties and governments) will provide the basis for determination whether as regards immigration policy there has been recently a growth in the importance of the position of the public opinion accompanied by a slump in the importance of objective factors connected with, among others, labour market and demographic change. This task will result in a map containing the identified factors and accompanied by determination of their importance/relevance for the decision-making process.
2. Creation of theoretical models of the relations between immigration and integration policy. The aim of this task is to create on the basis of the map of factors established under point 1 and additional literature studies (including models of migration policies and social models), the theoretical models of links between both analysed policies. The models will differ by degrees of the mutual relations. We assume that extreme models will assume on the one hand total absence of relations and total linkage between those two policies and joint decision-making on the other. Intermediate models will be defined between those two models. As a result a collection containing all potential theoretical models of relations between immigration and integration policies will be established.
3. Analysis of models of the relations between immigration and integration policies in immigration EU states – part I. On the basis of the analyses of comparative reports, statistical sources and positions of governments we will describe the relations between immigration and integration policies in EU states selected for the analysis, which recorded in their history significant inflows of third country nationals. They differ both in terms of directions of inflow and approach to immigration. As an effect of this task, we will initially verify the theoretical models established in point 2 and develop draft questionnaire for the Delphi research.
4. Analysis of models of the relations between immigration and integration policies in immigration EU states – part II. This task aims to determine the models of actual relations between the two policies; such determination will be performed on the basis of the results of research implemented with the Delphi methodology. Moreover the results of the research will allow for identification of forecasts regarding probability of changes and their potential consequences. Various scenarios of the situation development will be adopted – from absence of changes to creation of a symbiotic model consisting in merger of immigration and integration policies in the decision-making system. The effect will be comprised by establishment of systematization of the models of relations between immigration and integration policies in EU immigration states. This will allow for additional verification of the models developed under point 2.
5. Creation of the theoretical model of relations between immigration and integration policies for Poland. Recognising the separate character of Poland compared to a majority of EU member states in terms of migration, studies will be performed with a view to developing an autonomous model of relations between the two policies. It will be performed on the basis of participant observation (a study of political decision-making) in the process of developing the foundations for Polish integration policy initiated in recent months, and then of this policy’s implementation in practice. Additionally IDIs will be performed with persons participating in development of immigration and integration policies. This will bring the effect of creation of a theoretical model of relations between the two policies to complement the models developed under point 4.
6. Relations between immigration and integration policies and approach to migration. The last task under the project will aim to answer – on the basis of earlier research results – the question on the extent to which the models of relations between immigration and integration policies and the fact of taking into account the impact of decisions made under both policies on each other, determine the approach of a given state to immigration. As a result the main research hypothesis will be verified.
2015 - 2017
Source of funding
National Science Center Sonata BIS