Director of Centre of Migration Research, University of Warsaw invites applications for a post-doc position at the Centre of Migration Research
of Centre of Migration Research, University of Warsaw
invites applications for a post-doc position
at the Centre of Migration Research.
The competition is open to persons who meet the conditions set out in the Act on Higher Education and Science of July 20, 2018 (Journal of Laws of 2018, item 1668 as amended), Resolution of the NCN Council No. 65/2019 of June 13, 2019 and the Statute of the University of Warsaw.
Institution: Centre of Migration Research, University of Warsaw
Position in the project: Co-investigator (post-doc position)
Project title: Transnational lives of Polish Roma – Migration, family and ethnic boundary making in changing European Union
Number of job offers: 1
– Ph.D. in social sciences or humanities (in sociology, ethnology / social anthropology, political sciences),
– qualitative research experience in terms of data gathering and analysis confirmed by relevant research experience, publications or teaching experience
– research experience and interest in the field of migration, knowledge of migration policies on the EU level confirmed by participation in scientific projects and publications in monographs or in international journals,
– awareness of the ethical aspects of ethnographic research and understanding of the participatory principle of this research project
– very good knowledge of English
– organizational experience, e.g. obtaining grants, organization of conferences, symposia and scientific workshops
– knowledge about the Roma issues in Poland and Europe, especially migration of the Roma
– able to work independently and as a part of the team.
The role of the post-doc will be: 1) assisting the PI in the managing the organisational side of the project – planning the fieldwork, organising team meetings, reporting the progress of the data collection, execution of the work plan and other administrative issues related to the project management. 2) The postdoc will also assist in the designing of the research tools with the PI, theoretical and methodological frameworks of the project 3) Conduct literature research and archives search, 4) Do fieldwork in the chosen location – interviews, participant observation and assisting the Romani speaking researcher in the field, conducting fieldwork abroad 4) transcribing the interviews and their analysis, incl. coding. 5) Support the PhD and MA coinvestigators in their academic progress and fieldwork, 6) Draft the academic papers and preparing conference presentations in a collaborative manner.
Interests of the post-doc should be closely linked to the project theme (Roma, migration, transnationalism, minorities, ethnographic research). She/he should be a team-player and willing to support the PhD and MA students as well as take an active part in the scientific life of the Centre of Migration Research.
Project description :
This project focuses on examining the migration of Polish Roma and their transnational lives in the context of changes in the EU’s functioning regarding the mobility regime. The situation of this minority is particularly important in the context of Great Britain leaving the European Union, which may affect their livelihoods, constraint or stimulate further mobility – to Germany or back to Poland. This research aims at shedding some light on migratory movements of that group taking an anthropological perspective and using qualitative methods – participant observation, interviews and spending considerable amount of time with migrating Roma, their friends and family who stay in Poland, as well as those Polish Roma that live in Great Britain and Germany. Applying the multi-sited ethnography with the participatory principle of working with Roma researchers on studentships, this project will analyse Polish Roma patterns of migrations, the ways with which international.
– A copy of the Ph.D. diploma,
– CV in Polish (containing information about research experiences and scientific publications)
– A cover letter in Polish
– copy of 1 publication in English
The expected date of the decision: 10/09/2019. Candidates will be informed about the results via email.
Recruitment is a two-step process:
1 / Evaluation of the electronic or paper application of the Candidates: previous experience and scientific achievements of the Candidate, other certificates and documents sent by the Candidate in the application.
2 / Interviews. Candidates who best match the Candidate profile listed above and who have received the highest number of points from the first step will be invited to the interview on 04/09/2019.
Type of NCN programme: OPUS16
Application deadline: 26.08.2019 r., 23:59
Please submit the documents: via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org or, in case electronic versions are not possible, paper application please sent to: Ośrodek Badań nad Migracjami, ul. Pasteura 7, 02-093 Warszawa (ID number: O16Ra)
Conditions of employment:
Job type: Full-time position at CMR UW
Position starts on October 2019 r (3 years)
To allow us to process your data, please include the following statement in your application: