Director of Centre of Migration Research, University of Warsaw invites applications for a post-doc position at the Centre of Migration Research
The competition is open to persons who meet the conditions set out in the Act on Higher Education and Science of July 20, 2018 (Journal of Laws of 2018, item 1668 as amended), and the Statute of the University of Warsaw.
Institution: Centre of Migration Research, University of Warsaw
Position in the project: Co-investigator (post-doc position)
Project title: The main tasks are connected with project Transnational lives of Polish Roma – Migration, family and ethnic boundary making in changing European Union (Principal Investigator – dr Michał Garapich) but the position includes also other research tasks.
Number of job offers: 1
- PhD in social sciences or humanities (in sociology, ethnology / social anthropology, political sciences);
- knowledge of methods and techniques of ethnographic and sociological research; experience in conducting ethnographic/sociological research; experience in data analysis confirmed by research, publication and / or teaching experience;
- knowledge and interest in minority issues, transnationality, migration/mobility supported by relevant research and/or publication experience;
- fluent knowledge of the Polish language;
- fluency in English; confirmed by participation in international conferences, conducting classes in English and/or publications;
- organizational skills, e.g. obtaining grants, organization of conferences, symposia and scientific workshops;
- ability to work independently and as a part of the team.
Researcher will participate in the implementation of tasks related to a research project dedicated to the transnational functioning of Polish Roma (supporting the project manager in the implementation of tasks envisaged in the study, participation in field research in selected locations, transcription of interviews, their analysis and coding), cooperation in the preparation of internal research reports and presentation of research results at national and international conferences, as well as preparation of reports.
Apart from the tasks mentioned above, an employed person will conduct – after prior consultation with the Director of the CMR – research in the field of migration/mobility and perform analyses leading to scientific publications in recognized international journals.
Project description :
This project focuses on examining the migration of Polish Roma and their transnational lives in the context of changes in the EU’s functioning regarding the mobility regime. The situation of this minority is particularly important in the context of Great Britain leaving the European Union, which may affect their livelihoods, constraint or stimulate further mobility – to Germany or back to Poland. This research aims at shedding some light on migratory movements of that group taking an anthropological perspective and using qualitative methods – participant observation, interviews and spending a considerable amount of time with migrating Roma, their friends and family who stay in Poland, as well as those Polish Roma that live in Great Britain and Germany. Applying the multi-sited ethnography with the participatory principle of working with Roma researchers on studentships, this project will analyse Polish Roma patterns of migrations, the ways with which international.
– A copy of the PhD diploma,
– A CV in Polish (containing information about research experiences and scientific publications),
– A cover letter in Polish,
– copy of 1 publication in English.
Application deadline: 27.09.2019 r., 23:59
Please submit the documents: via email to email@example.com or, in case electronic versions are not possible, paper application please sent to Ośrodek Badań nad Migracjami, ul. Pasteura 7, 02-093 Warszawa (reference number: OBM Adiunkt1)
Conditions of employment: Full-time position at CMR UW for 12 months (with the possibility of extension)
The expected date of the decision: 10/10/2019. Candidates will be informed about the results via email.
Recruitment is a two-step process:
1 / Evaluation of the electronic or paper application of the Candidates: previous experience and scientific achievements of the Candidate, other certificates and documents sent by the Candidate in the application.
2 / Interviews. Candidates who best match the Candidate profile listed above and who have received the highest number of points from the first step will be invited to the interview.
INFORMATION ON THE PROCESSING OF PERSONAL DATA INFORMATION CLAUSE